Start a Telehealth Session in Telehealth 2.0
With TherapyNotes Telehealth, you can meet clients where they are using reliable, HIPAA-compliant video technology. Any device with a camera, microphone, compatible web browser, and Internet access is suitable for a telehealth session.
Telehealth sessions can be started by any clinical user who has an appointment with a patient. In order to start a telehealth session for an appointment:
- The Type must not be Scheduled Event, or Vacation or Blackout Period.
- The Use TherapyNotes Telehealth checkbox must be selected on the appointment.
- The appointment has not been marked as Missed or Cancelled.
As long as the appointment meets the above criteria, the Clinician on the appointment can start a telehealth session beginning 5 hours prior to the Scheduled Time until 5 hours after the Scheduled Time. So, for an appointment scheduled at 5:00PM, the Clinician may start the telehealth session between 12:00PM and 10:00PM.
To start a telehealth session:
- Click Scheduling
Click on the desired appointment on the calendar.
- If the appointment is eligible for telehealth, a banner will be displayed at the top of the appointment dialog. Click the Start Telehealth Session button.
- Your browser will prompt you to share access to your camera and microphone. Click Allow
In the Welcome! dialog that appears, Enter Your Name as you’d like it to appear in the session and select the Camera and Microphone you want to use for your session. You should see a preview of your video and an audio meter that responds to your voice.
- Click the Join Session button.
When your patient is ready to join the session, you'll see a notification in the middle of your screen and most browsers will play a sound. Simply click the Accept button when you're all set, and you'll be connected with your patient.
Once in a telehealth session, a small preview of your video will appear, and your patient's video will appear larger in the middle of the browser. Here's what you can do in your session:
- Reposition your video preview by clicking and dragging with your mouse, tapping and dragging with your finger on a touch device, or using keyboard controls by pressing Tab to focus on the video preview.
- Hide your preview by hovering over, tapping, or focusing on your video preview and selecting the eye icon that appears.
- Use the icons menu at the bottom of the screen (or to the left on a landscape view) to disable your camera, mute your microphone, Share your screen or end the session.
Clinician View During a Session
During a telehealth session, the clinician’s screen includes a box on the left side with People, Schedule, and Settings tabs. At the bottom of the screen are buttons to turn your camera, microphone, and screen sharing on and off.
- The People tab displays who is in the session, who is waiting to join the session, and who is waiting as a guest in the session. It will also show participants who are waiting for upcoming sessions.
- The Schedule tab displays your current and upcoming telehealth sessions. You can use the arrow icon in the Upcoming box to start the next session.
- The Settings tab includes a free text field to update your name, camera and microphone settings, a toggle switch to show or hide your video preview (the screen in which you appear) and a toggle for the call timer. You can move your video preview screen around your screen by clicking and dragging it across or down your screen.
If the practice has Premium telehealth enabled, users will also see Backgrounds, which allows them to blur or use a virtual background in their sessions.
Ending the session will remove both you and your patient from the video call. If you or your patient end the session by mistake, you may rejoin the session. To rejoin a session, click the Restart the Session link at the top of your TherapyNotes page. Both you and your patient must select the option to rejoin in order to reconnect in the telehealth session.
If you experience connection issues during your session, please refer to Troubleshooting Telehealth Connection Issues.