Add a New Client
TherapyNotes makes it incredibly simple to add a new client and maintain an organized chart. Unlike paper charts, you only need to enter information about your client once, and TherapyNotes will do the rest to keep your records connected and consistent. Client information is pulled forward into notes for your appointments and automatically generated on claims to maintain a seamless workflow from intake to payment.
If you are coming to TherapyNotes from another EMR vendor or if you are able to create a spreadsheet of your client data, TherapyNotes can import this information to your account for you free of charge. To learn more, read How To Import Client Information Into TherapyNotes.
To add a new client:
- Click Patients > + New Patient
- Optionally enter any relevant information in the Patient Comments field.
- Complete the Patient Information section, ensuring that it exactly matches the information on their insurance card. You must enter at least a last name for the new client.
Here are some notes on these fields:
(A) Preferred Name: While not required, a preferred name can appear on appointment reminders and the client portal for a personalized touch. This will not appear on claims. This field may be visible to clients and should not be used for categorization or account numbers.
(B) Date of Birth: A date of birth is required to submit insurance claims and to create a portal account for your client.
(C) Account Number, SSN: The ability to input a unique Account Number and/or Social Security Number for each client is not enabled by default. To enable these fields, click the User Icon > Settings > Patient Records. Note: Only Practice Administrators and Clinical Administrators can access Patient Record Settings.
(D) Address, Zip, City/State: A full address is required for insurance claims.
(E) Mobile Phone, Home Phone, Work Phone, Other Phone: Complete these fields with any applicable phone numbers for the client. If appointment reminders are enabled and the client has elected to receive text or voice reminders, select the message preference from the dropdown to the right of each of these fields. Otherwise, use the information in these dropdowns for reference.
(F) Email Address: An email address is required to create a portal account for your client.
(G) Appt Reminders: This field is only visible if your practice has appointment reminders enabled. For more information, read Automated Patient Appointment Reminders.
(H) Administrative Sex: This field is required to submit insurance claims and should reflect the client's legal sex to reduce the likelihood of rejected claims. Use the Gender Identity field to record a more accurate description of the client's gender.
(I) HIPAA: Indicate if the client or the client's guardian has signed your Notice of Privacy Practices. This must be selected in order to submit insurance claims.
- In the Contacts section, click the + New Contact button to create a contact for the client and enter the contact's information. Repeat this step as necessary until all of the client's contacts have been entered.
- In the Assigned Clinician section, select a clinician from the dropdown. Assigned clinicians have access to the client's clinical record, including the ability to schedule appointments, write notes, and manage uploaded clinical files for the client. For more information and to learn how to assign additional clinicians to a client, read Manage Clinician Assignments
- Click the Save New Patient button, or click the Save and Create Another button to continue adding clients.
You may also add new clients when scheduling appointments. This allows schedulers to easily record information for a new client when they call or visit to make their first appointment with your practice.
To add a new client while scheduling an appointment:
- Click Scheduling > + New Appointment
- Click the + New Patient button.
- An abbreviated version of the form above will appear. Enter your client's information.
- Click the Save New Patient button and continue scheduling the appointment.
After you have added a new client, click Patients > Patient name > Info tab to edit their demographic and contact information, or click Patients > Patient name > Billing Settings tab to enter insurance information, custom cash rates, and other relevant billing information. For more information, read Manage Client Billing Settings.