Enter Patient Payments
TherapyNotes’ billing features allow you to keep a record of charges and payments for both insurance companies and your clients. When you receive a payment from a client, enter the payment into TherapyNotes.
Client payments can be entered from the Enter Patient Payment page or as a Quick Payment from the billing tab of the appointment dialog.
Enter a Patient Payment
- Click Billing > Enter Patient Payment > Search patients OR Click Patients > Patient name > patient Billing tab > Enter Patient Payment
1) Click on the method of payment (Check, Cash, External) from the Payment Method options.
2) Enter the Payment Date, Payment Amount, and other applicable payment information, such as Check Number for check payments or Transaction ID for externally processed credit, debit, or HSA card payments.
3) The Payment Amount is automatically allocated to the oldest dates of service still pending payments. To change the allocation, enter the amount you wish to apply to each date of service in the Allocation column.
4) To write off a portion of the balance, select the checkbox for the desired date(s) of service in the Write-Off column. The values in the Write-Off column show the exact amount to be written off according to the Pt Amt, Pt Bal, and Allocation for the corresponding date of service.
5) Click the Save Payment button.
- Allocate to multiple appointments: If a client gives you a check for $100 to cover four upcoming copays of $25, enter $100 in the Payment Amount field and $25 in the Allocation field for each date of service the check covers.
- Write off a partial balance: Imagine a client owes you $25 but only has $24 cash at the time. You tell the client not to worry about the missing $1. Enter $24 in the Payment Amount field, enter $24 in the appropriate Allocation field, then select the corresponding checkbox in the Write-Off column to write off the remaining $1.
- Allocate to future appointments: If a client pays you $50 to cover a $25 copay but only has one outstanding appointment, enter $50 in the Payment Amount field and allocate $25 to the outstanding appointment. If the client has a future appointment scheduled, you may allocate the remaining $25 to the upcoming appointment. Otherwise, the extra $25 will be recorded as an unassigned credit which can be used to cover any future balance for the client.
Enter a Patient Quick Payment
To enter a Quick Payment for a single item from the Scheduling screen:
- Click the desired appointment on the calendar. An appointment dialog will generate.
- Click the Billing tab in the dialog.
- Click the Due: $XX.XX link next to Patient Paid. A Quick Payment dialog will generate. The Quick Payment dialog displays the Patient Balance Owed for the selected date of service and Unassigned Credits at the top of the dialog for reference.
- To enter a payment, complete the Payment Method, Payment Date, and Payment Amount fields in the dialog.
- Click Save New Payment.
If you enter a payment amount in the Quick Payment dialog that is more than the patient owes for the selected date of service, you will get a Problems with this Payment dialog alerting you that the balance will become an unassigned credit.
To enter a payment for multiple items, use the Enter Patient Payment screen instead of entering a Quick Payment from the appointment dialog.
To apply an unassigned credit:
- Click the Apply Credit link at the top right of the Quick Payment dialog, or click the Apply Credit link at the bottom left of the Appointment Billing dialog. If the credit exceeds the amount due for the item in the Appointment Billing dialog, you will be taken to the patient’s Billing screen to complete the payment.