When a client changes their insurance, updating the client's insurance information in TherapyNotes automatically updates the associated payer for any billing line items with the status of Pending Initial Submission and Pending Resubmission. However, some billing items may have already been submitted to the old payer and should instead be submitted to the updated payer. TherapyNotes allows you to manually update payers associated with billing line items to help prevent unnecessary claim rejections and ensure that your billing workflow remains uninterrupted.
Before manually updating the payer information for each billing line item:
- Click Payers and verify that the insurance provider is included in your practice's Payers list. If not, add the payer to your account.
- Click Patients > Patient Name > Billing Settings tab and verify that the client's insurance information has been updated to reflect the change in insurance. If not, edit your client's billing settings. Doing so will update any of the client's billing line items that are Pending Initial Submission or Pending Resubmission to the new payer.
To update the primary or secondary payer associated with a billing line item:
- Click Patients > Patient Name > Patient Billing tab
- In the section labeled Search Billing Transactions, click on the date of service
- A dialog with additional details about the date of service appears. The Billing tab should be selected
- Click Update to the right of Payer or Secondary
- A dialog will appear to confirm that the payer associated with the billing item will be replaced with the client's updated payer. Click the Update Insurance Payer button
Repeat the above steps until all billing line items have been updated as necessary.