The TherapyNotes billing functionality is tightly integrated into the system, making your billing a fast, streamlined process. The following core features are part of our billing solution:
- Submit claims electronically to insurance providers (TherapyNotes EDI)
- Track patient balances, including insurance and cash payments
- Generate patient balance statements
- Generate CMS-1500 forms for printing
- Track insurance pre-authorizations
- A “Biller” user role with only the necessary access
To prepare for the billing features please read Quick Start - Billing.
The following pages on TherapyNotes are important for a biller to be aware of:
- Billing: Available from the Billing menu at the top of site, the Billing page has numerous practice-wide billing activities and reports, including the ability to search all transactions or enter in-network payments.
- Patient Billing Settings: Each patient has a tab called "Billing Settings" to enter rates or insurance details. make sure to complete this for all active patients.
- Patient Billing: Each patient has a tab called "Patient Billing". This is where you got for all patient-specific billing activities including viewing balances and transactions, entering patient payments, entering miscellaneous charges and credits, creating patient statements, and creating superbills and CMS forms.
- Billing tab in the Appointment Dialog: Open any appointment form the calendar and you will see a "Billing" tab. From here you can set payment methods, rates, and perform some activities including generating CMS forms.
- Settings: Various settings pages are essential to be completed including entering NPI numbers for the practice and the clinicians, entering your service codes and their default rates. Of most relevance, of course is the Billing Settings page.
TherapyNotes automatically determines the rate for an appointment by looking at various settings. If the patient has in-network coverage (as set in that patient's billing settings), the rate of the appointment is determined by the rate schedule you have set for that insurance provider. If the patient is out-of-network or has no insurance, the rate will be determined by the patient's custom rates if they are set or the practice's default rates for the selected service code. Be sure to carefully review all appointments to make sure TherapyNotes has determined the correct rates.
Each appointment can be edited to override payment settings. For example if the patient will be paying less for a particular appointment, go to the appointment and select the Billing tab, and then make necessary billing changes.
Read the other Billing help topics for more information on individual activities.