Resubmit Electronic Claims
When an electronic claim is rejected by the clearinghouse or payer, TherapyNotes will notify you by changing the status of the claim to rejected. Users with the role of Practice Biller or Biller for Assigned Patients Only will also receive a notification on their to do list prompting them to review electronic claim rejections. After making any needed corrections, these claims can be resubmitted through TherapyNotes.
Role Required: Practice Biller or Biller for Assigned Patients Only
When an electronic claim has been rejected, the insurance status in TherapyNotes automatically changes to "Pending Resubmission". You can view rejected claims for a specific patient by viewing their billing transactions.
To Locate Rejected Electronic Claims for a Patient
- Click PATIENTS > select patient > click the Patient Billing tab
- Rejected claims can be viewed in the "Ins Status" column with a status of Pending Resubmit in green. The image below shows where to locate the insurance status within the "Patient Billing" tab.
Get to the "Submit Electronic Claims" screen
First, navigate to the "Submit Electronic Claims" screen through one of the following ways.
Option 1: Click TO-DO > "Submit Electronic Claims"
Option 2: Click BILLING > "Submit Electronic Claims"
Option 3: Click PATIENTS > Click patient > "Patient Billing" tab > "Submit Electronic Claims"
Option 4: Click PATIENTS > Click patient > "Patient Billing" tab > "Resubmit Claim"
Option 5: Click PAYERS > Click payer > "Payer Billing" tab > "Submit Electronic Claims"
Option 6: Click the gray "Resubmit" button on the Electronic Claim Details screen
Resubmit Electronic Claims
Status: The "Status" dropdown defaults to "Pending Initial Submission or Resubmission", however you can select another option.
- Note: If you are looking for a claim that was submitted through TherapyNotes, rejected by the payer, but not set as "Rejected" in TherapyNotes, select the option "All Open Items".
Payer: Either leave the default "Any Payer" or select another option from the dropdown.
Clinician: Either leave the default "Any Clinician" or select another option from the dropdown.
Patient: Either leave the default "Any Patient" or click the link "Select an Individual Patient".
Appointments: The date range defaults to 1 year in the past, however you can enter another date.
Check off Dates of Service: Check off the dates of service you want to batch onto the claim.
- Note: Claims are batched by patient. Conditions such as pre-authorizations can split the batched claim of a patient into multiple claims.
Resubmission Type: Select an option from the dropdown.
- "New Claim" means a newly resubmitted claim.
- "Amended Claim" means a corrected claim. Selecting this option puts the number 7 on the corrected claim.
- "Void Claim" should be used when the payer asks for a voided claim.
Payer Claim Control Number: If the payer asked you to resubmit the claim using a claim control number, enter it here. Contact the payer directly to obtain a claim control number. Claim control numbers are optional for "New Claim" and required for "Amended Claim" and "Void Claim".
Review Claim Details: If you want to see exactly what is on the claim before submission, click "Review Claim Details".
Submit Claims: After checking off the dates of service to resubmit, click the green "Submit Claims" button to send the claims to the clearinghouse.
Track Claim Status with Electronic Claim History
After resubmitting the claims, track the status with the EDI Claim History.
- For a visual tutorial about how to track claim status with EDI Claim History, see this article.
Enter Insurance Payments
Once you receive the explanation of benefits (EOB) or electronic remittance advice (ERA) and the insurance payment, post it to TherapyNotes.
For a visual tutorial of how to use Assisted ERA Payment Posting feature, see this article.
For a visual tutorial of how to enter insurance payments, see this article.
- For a visual tutorial about how to submit electronic claims, see Submit Electronic Claims (EDI).