How To: Apply a Modifier
Modifiers are two-character descriptors added to a service, or CPT, code, designed to provide additional information about how a service was rendered. Modifiers are generally categorized as one of two types: functional (Level 1) or informational (Level 2). When entering modifiers, it is best to put functional modifiers first, as they often affect the reimbursement rate for services. Claims can include up to four modifiers.
While many modifiers are considered industry standard, not every payer accepts modifiers, and not every modifier is applicable to every service code. Consult your payer contracts or contact Provider Relations for your payers to learn if you should include modifiers with your claims.
In TherapyNotes, modifiers are manually added per billing line item.
To apply a modifier to a service:
- Click Patients > Patient Name > Patient Billing tab
- Click on the date of service
- A dialog with additional details about the date of service appears. The Billing tab should be selected.
- Enter a two-character modifier code in one of the Modifiers fields
- Click the Save Changes button