How to Join a Telehealth Session as a TherapyPortal User
Telehealth sessions allow you and your provider to meet in the comfort and convenience of your own homes. Any device with a camera, microphone, compatible web browser, and Internet access is suitable for a telehealth session. All calls use peer-to-peer connections with end-to-end encryption for maximum privacy and security.
Before you get started:
- Be sure that you're using an up-to-date web browser, such as the latest version of Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Apple Safari, or Mozilla Firefox. Please note that you cannot join telehealth sessions using Internet Explorer.
- Make sure that you're connected to a strong, secured Wi-Fi signal. If you're joining a telehealth session on your phone, connect to Wi-Fi instead of using cellular data, if possible.
- Close any applications or browser tabs that you don't need right now. This allows your device's processing power to be dedicated to maintaining a high-quality video call.
- Grab a pair of headphones to use for your session. Using headphones helps to prevent voice echo.
- Have a phone number you can use to call your provider in case you get disconnected.
To join a telehealth session:
- Log in to your practice's portal.
- Any telehealth sessions that are ready for you to join will appear at the top of your home page. You have the option to join a session for any recent or upcoming appointments scheduled with your practice.
- Click the Join Session button for your appointment.
- Your browser will prompt you to share access to your camera and microphone. Click Allow.
- In the telehealth waiting room, select the Camera and Microphone you want to use for your session. You should see a preview of your video and an audio meter that responds to your voice.
- When you're ready to join your session, click the I'm Ready button.
- Once you indicate that you're ready for your session, you'll connect immediately with your provider if they're ready to go. If not, a waiting screen will appear. Please remain on this screen until your provider joins the session.
In a telehealth session, your video will appear in the upper left corner of your browser, and your provider's video will appear larger in the middle of the browser. You can disable your camera, mute your microphone, and end the session using the buttons in your control tray.
When a session ends, you'll be taken back to your home page. If you end the session by mistake, you may rejoin the session. To rejoin a session, click the rejoin the session link in the banner that appears on your home page. Both you and your provider must choose to rejoin in order to reconnect in the telehealth session.